Friday, August 12, 2011

The Pitch.

{via}
Hi Blogger World! Sorry for the absence – it’s been another emotional roller coaster week at the M household. So here’s the update…

Last Friday – I received the offer that the company agreed to MATCH my salary request that I made during my first interview. It was surreal. The next hurdle was for the company to win the pitch and they planned to present on Thursday (yesterday) and could I join them.

The Weekend – Mr. M and I discuss the actual possibility of me leaving my government job and crossing over to for-profit land. Things are really different in for-profit land…like decent coffee; paper for copiers and oh…more money. We had a good deal of soul searching to make sure I wasn’t doing this for the money since we are on track to be credit card debt free by 2012. All of this was via the phone since Mr. M was out of town which gave me a good deal of time to think (a.k.a. drive myself crazy) during Saturday and Sunday. Thankfully, I had a wedding to work so I wasn’t over thinking it to much.

PS. Met my parents for lunch on Sunday after church. Just they and I and we have nice but little strained lunch. I gave them the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace kit and they’re starting class later this month. If you could add them to your prayer list, I would be grateful as I miss my old-fun-loving parents and hopefully the DRFP class will help them get back on track.

Monday – Mr. M was still concerned about insurance due to the baby drama which is totally understandable. The perks of working for the government is the benefits package…or it was since our Governor’s working aggressively to get rid of that too but I digress. So I called my sorority sister (let’s call her E) and asked her if she could tell me if the company’s insurance plan would cover us if one day we would want to start a family. It did and before we hung up, E says:

“You know you could talk to Jay (my potential new boss) as she adopted two years ago and had a son six month later. With two young children she knows a great deal about families and insurance.”

Okay – E has NO clue about the issues/living hell that Mr. M and I have gone through this summer. For her to say that was to me a massive sign in lights that I need to frankly stop thinking, sign the agreement and take the job.

I sit down with my current boss to tell her that I was being interviewed for a possible position. Now, before you throw tomatoes at me for lying – hear me out. If the company did not win the offer then my job offer is off the table. So why lose earning some type of income if things don’t work out. Also, I didn’t want her to be completely blindsided by the whole experience if they did win the offer and I had to start like next week.
Tuesday – I decide to ask off for Thursday so I could join the presentation team when they did the pitch. It dawned on me that if I was there, maybe I could help make this job actually happen. So I took the risk and asked for the time off and thankfully, my kind boss gave it to me.

Thursday – Pitch day. I am up at 4:45 am because I can’t sleep and filled with that nervous anticipation/excitement feeling. Join the team at 9:30 am that morning for practice at a local hotel and two hours later it is show time.

Not going to lie – I was in my element. Half way through the process, I thought now this is why I chose this as my degree as an undergraduate. Also, they made me feel intelligent, needed and important. It wasn’t until after the pitch and at lunch that I realized how low my morale was at my current place of employment.

Thursday afternoon, 4:50 pm – Since I had the day off, I decided to be lazy and watch Monty Python’s Holy Grail because…well I could. Jay calls me to tell me that we WON the pitch and I start December 1st!

Here’s to FINALLY something POSITIVE happening this summer.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic!!!! oh thats just wonderful I am so happy that this has worked out for you, Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration to me. I can't wait to see how this all works out!

    ReplyDelete